My fantasy football league had our draft last night. Here’s my team, and how it all went down. Overall I’m pretty happy with my team, probably give it an 8 out of 10. But who knows what the season will bring…
Round. (Overall Pick) Player
1. (7) Frank Gore – Brendan shook things up by taking Peyton Manning at #5, perhaps signalling an early run on QBs, but I felt I couldn’t pass up Gore here. Brees or Andre Johnson were also considered, but I figured I’d be able to get a top-tier WR or QB in round 2.
2. (18) Miles Austin – The choice came down to QB or WR, but after Brees/Rodgers went off the board, I felt it was too high a pick to use on Brady/Schaub/Romo, so I decided to wait until round 3.
3. (31) Roddy White – I was wrong. All 7 top-tier QBs were gone by the time it came back to me, so I switched to my value-QB strategy, thinking I could get Flacco a few rounds later. Was psyched that Roddy White was still on the board and jumped on it.
4. (42) Jamaal Charles – I couldn’t believe Charles was still available here, most of my mock drafts had him going in the 3rd. Also, someone took Flacco with the 2nd pick this round – crazy early – so I knew I’d be waiting a while to pick up a QB.
5. (55) Wes Welker – I wanted one of Welker, Crabtree, or Garcon, and decided to take Welker here, he served me well last year, let’s hope the knee holds up.
6. (66) Beanie Wells – Another shocker, for Wells to be available here in the 6th. Couldn’t pass up adding a starting-quality RB to my bench.
7. (79) Zach Miller – One of the value TEs I’d been eyeing prior to the draft, hoping Campbell is an improvement from last year.
8. (90) Devin Aromashodu – Pysched to get a Bears WR, and Aromashodu was my first pick of the three, even though Knox and Hester were already off the board.
9. (103) Jay Cutler – Figured I better grab Cutler here, and it was a good move, because the next two picks were Vince Young and Roethlisberger – my league liked to grab backup QBs early. Cutler makes me nervous, but fingers crossed.
10. (114) Jacoby Jones – One of the deep picks I’d been hoping for, we’ll see if he’s really good, or if I’m just too much of a Matthew Berry fangirl.
11. (127) Thomas Jones – Wasn’t really going for the Jamaal Charles handcuff here, just figured Jones was too good of a value to pass up here. Also, former Bear.
12. (138) Demaryius Thomas – Didn’t read up on the foot injury before I picked him, but I like Orton, and Orton needs someone to throw to now that Marshall is gone. And I like having a rookie or two on my team.
13. (151) Chicago – Da Bears! Who cares how ESPN and Yahoo and pretty much everyone have them ranked, they are my Bears.
14. (162) Legedu Naanee – Say it with me, LEGEDU NAANEE! Plus I think he’ll have some value with Vincent Jackson out for a bit.
15. (175) Chad Henne – Wanted to get a backup QB as Cutler insurance, and I think Henne could have some upside.
16. (186) Robbie Gould – Da Bears!
17. (199) Chaz Schilens – Couldn’t figure out who I wanted as my individual defensive player, so I grabbed Chaz. I’ll have to drop him before the first game, which is too bad, he could have some upside.
Can’t wait for the season to start!